Friday, July 08, 2005

Please.

I received this e-mail just now from a cousin who lives just outside of London. I sent her a note this morning to confirm that she and her family are all right, which, thankfully, they are.

“Lovely to hear from you. Yes it is so sad. What a wicked waste of life.

I feel so badly for those with loved ones missing and just not knowing whether they are in hospital or dead.

The atmosphere is very subdued but sadly, even at school there were racial comments made today about arabs that I haven't heard before.

I feel so badly for the muslim community who now feel ill at ease. It's awful but then so are the daily bombings in Iraq.

When will we ever learn?

The area where it all happened is the area where I lived as a student for 1 year so the images were very vivid for me. Russell Square tube station is one of those accessed by an ancient elevator because it is so deep underground and that is where bodies still have to be recovered.

Every now and then I just whell up with emotion.”

Personally, I woke up at 4:00 a.m. our time yesterday morning, which is very unusual for me. I turned on the T.V., thinking I'd find something boring to watch for a little while, and that's when I saw what happened. Needless to say, I didn't ever get back to sleep. There are no words.

The hardest part of all is resisting the powerful temptation to hate them right back.

Please. Please.

Resist.

No comments: