Thursday, January 05, 2006

Head Lice 2: Electric Boogaloo

The pestilence has returned.

Well, okay, it’s possible that it never completely went away in the first place. But because a) we had a couple of clean comb-throughs after the first round, and several good weeks without any head itchiness whatsoever, and; b) Demigoddess the Younger claims that the Junior High is pretty much crawling with bloodsucking vermin (and headlice); I am choosing to believe that this second round was re-introduced and certainly not any kind of parental failure on my part. Certainly not.

I asked Demi the Younger if her friend G., whom we determined to have been the original source of our infestation, was still a carrier. Ms. Younger didn’t know, but did say that G. is a “hugger.”

“Gack!” I said. “No hugging! Tell her you’ll be happy to shake hands but that there will be NOOOO HUGGING. For cripe's sake, keep your head the HELL away from that girl!”

Again with the poison shampoo, again with the combing. How am I expected to enjoy Project Runway when I have to watch the entire episode over her shoulder while I pick nastiness off of her head?

Totally. Unacceptable.

The Demis are SO both getting haircuts this weekend. I vowed to do it after our first trip down the parasite trail, but in the end didn’t bother because I naively thought I had conquered the problem for good. Apparently it’s time to play hardball.

I wonder how they’ll look with crew cuts.

7 comments:

jo(e) said...

I can't remember if I told you this the last time around, but the old-fashioned treatment of mayonnaise works often works better than the poison shampoos and it is safer. You slather the head with mayonnaise, then wrap it with plastic wrap or something, and leave it in overnight. It kills everything. The lice are smothered. It's messy but safe and effective.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! That happens every year in every school - an outbreak of head lice. I'm not sure how we made it through those years without an infestation, but I know plenty of neighbors who weren't so lucky. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Here I was all happy that I have a daughter after reading your post about shopping. Now, I'm not so sure. A boy would certainly be easier in the lice department. A good head shave and you're done.

Then nothing and no one could stand (or sit) between you and the delicious Project Runway.

Prego said...

Like young Lori Pettys.

As a middle school teacher, I am constantly ducking ringworm, lice and pinkeye. Teach the demi-goddesses how to 'high-five,' for crying out loud... with latex gloves on.


Love
p

Sarah said...

Makes my head itch just reading this... My little Princess was suspected of having head lice last winter - I was pregnant at the time and had to have someone else treat her head with that nastiness. Turns out, it was just a really bad case of dandruff, but even so. Ugh.

(When my Stepson gets it, his mother shaves his head... it's happened twice now).

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

I am reading these and my WHOLE BODY IS ITCHING! I'm not going to be able to go to bed tonight for fear of the dustmites that are gonna attack too.

Unknown said...

My daughter always using hairspray and after a few months she complained that her scalp became itchy...i think it’s the head lice attacking her hair. I think it’s the kind of hair spray or hair spray can attract head? Is there any head lice treatment. My daughter always using hairspray and after a few months she complained that her scalp became itchy...it thinks it’s the head lice attacking her hair. I think it’s the kind of hair spray or hair spray can attract head lice treatment ?