Wednesday, September 28, 2005

You Win Some, You Lose Some

The results are in.

Demigoddess the Younger did not win a seat on the student council, in spite of a very witty speech and campaign posters that included the slogan, “Narcoleptics for (Demigoddess the Younger).” I thought that one was hilarious myself, but apparently most junior high kids don’t know about narcolepsy, and the ones who do clearly don’t have as well-developed senses of humor as we have at our house. Oh, well.

She seems to be taking it fairly well, and has more or less decided that student council is just a big popularity contest, and all the other kids are stupid. Self-esteem does not appear to be an issue with Demigoddess the Younger.

Demigoddess the Elder, on the other hand, not only earned her very first debate win during yesterday’s tournament, she won two of her three events (and, according to her, really should have won the third as well). For her achievement, she received a blue ribbon (all the rest of the kids received red ones). I am so proud of her, I get all misty-eyed just thinking about it. I can’t stop kissing and hugging all over her.

She keeps saying, “It’s not a big deal.” But it IS a big deal and I am SO going to bake her that cake. I'm even going to put sprinkles on it.

3 comments:

Meghan said...

I think you should put sprinkles and SPARKLERS on it! But Sparklers might make the cake taste funny, so maybe just hold them.

Your daughters are amazing. Both of them. I think they are ever-so-brave. I am a very proud aunt.

Julie Marsh said...

Bummer for DGtY - unfortunately, it doesn't sound like student council elections have changed much over the years.

And congrats to DGtE - that's fantastic!

Yes, yes - CAKE!

Anonymous said...

Student council is SO for losers. Way to go Jane for getting out there and trying!! I'm very proud of her, I wouldn't have ever even tried cause I'd have been too scared of the speech. Those other jr high kids are just too dumb to undertand her deep and intelligent sense of humor.

Way to go Kate!!! She is just getting better and better with her debates. I am so impressed and proud of her. Once again, something I would have been way to chicken to try and it is such a good skill to learn.

They are both VERY fancy. And their mother is also very fancy for raising such great children!